Alexandria National Cemetery is a United States National Cemetery, of approximately 5.5 acres (2.2 ha), located in the city of Alexandria, Virginia. Administered by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, it is one of the original national cemeteries that were established in 1862. As of 2014, it was site to over 4,500 interments. The cemetery can accommodate the cremated remains of eligible individuals.
As one of the original national cemeteries, it served as the burial grounds for mostly Union soldiers who died in the numerous hospitals around the Alexandria area, but by 1864 it was almost filled to capacity. This led to the development of the Arlington National Cemetery. The remains of 39 Confederates, originally buried in the cemetery during the Civil War, were disinterred by the Daughters of the Confederacy in 1879. The remains were reinterred in Christ Church cemetery.
Alexandria National Cemetery was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1995.
|Location||1450 Wilkes St., Alexandria, Virginia|
|Area||5.5 acres (2.2 ha)|
|Architect||Meigs, Montgomery C.|
|Architectural style||Italianate, Second Empire|
|MPS||Civil War Era National Cemeteries MPS|
|NRHP reference No.||95000106|
|Added to NRHP||March 2, 1995|
|Designated VLR||October 19, 1994[|