About Arlington National Cemetery – History & Location

Arlington National Cemetery is a United States military cemetery in Arlington County, Virginia, across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C., in whose 639 acres (259 ha) the dead of the nation’s conflicts have been buried, beginning with the Civil War, as well as reinterred dead from earlier wars. The United States Department of the Army, a component of the United States Department of Defense (DoD), controls the cemetery.

The national cemetery was established during the Civil War on the grounds of Arlington House, previously the estate of Mary Anna Custis Lee, a great-granddaughter of Martha Washington and wife of Robert E. Lee. The Cemetery, along with Arlington House, Memorial Drive, the Hemicycle, and Arlington Memorial Bridge form the Arlington National Cemetery Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in April 2014.

Established May 13, 1864; 157 years ago
Location
Country United States United States
Coordinates 38°52′45″N 77°04′20″WCoordinates38°52′45″N 77°04′20″W
Type National
Owned by U.S. Department of the Army
Size 639 acres (259 ha)
No. of graves ~400,000[1]
Website www.arlingtoncemetery.mil
Find a Grave Arlington National Cemetery
If you have concerns about this publication, please click Contact Us