About Hebrew Cemetery Richmond, Virginia – History & Location

The Hebrew Cemetery in Richmond, Virginia, also known as Hebrew Burying Ground, dates from 1816. This Jewish cemetery, one of the oldest in the United States, was founded in 1816 as successor to the Franklin Street Burial Grounds of 1789. Among those interred here is Josephine Cohen Joel, who was well known in the early 20th century as the founder of Richmond Art Co.

Within Hebrew Cemetery is a plot known as the Soldier’s Section. It contains the graves of 30 Jewish Confederate soldiers who died in or near Richmond. It is one of only two Jewish military cemeteries outside of the State of Israel. Located at Fourth and Hospital Streets on historic Shockoe Hill, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2006.

The cemetery is maintained by Congregation Beth Ahabah, a Reform congregation founded in Richmond in 1789.

Location 400 Hospital St., Richmond, Virginia
Coordinates 37°33′08″N 77°25′46″WCoordinates37°33′08″N 77°25′46″W
Built 1816
Architect Dimmock, James
Architectural style Romanesque
NRHP reference No. 06000348[1]
VLR No. 127-6166
Significant dates
Added to NRHP May 5, 2006
Designated VLR March 8, 2006
If you have concerns about this publication, please click Contact Us