About Riverside Cemetery Oshkosh, Wisconsin – History & Location

Riverside Cemetery is located in Oshkosh, Wisconsin and was listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 2003.

About

On March 6, 1855, the city of Oshkosh purchased a land parcel from Maria Grignon for creation of a cemetery. The parcel was located on the east bank of the Fox River and was named Riverside Cemetery. It was built as a replacement for the Locust Grove Cemetery, which was the first burial ground in Oshkosh and built in 1848. Between 1855 and 1869, the remains of those buried in Locust Grove were moved to Riverside Cemetery.

In 1855, the Riverside Catholic cemetery was laid out north of the cemetery and expanded further in 1875. In 1868, a parcel was purchased east of the Riverside Cemetery by Masons. In 1882, the city purchased 38 acres (15 ha) in the north edge of the Catholic plots. In 1887, the city sold off 10 acres (4.0 ha) to the Catholic Church. In 1914, an additional 61 acres (25 ha) were purchased from H. C. Rogers, expanding the cemetery to 98.39 acres (39.82 ha), the current size today.

Location 1901 Algoma Blvd., Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Coordinates 44.04299°N 88.564873°WCoordinates44.04299°N 88.564873°W
Area 98.4 acres (39.8 ha)
Architectural style Classical RevivalGothic
NRHP reference No. 03000578
Added to NRHP June 26, 2003
If you have concerns about this publication, please click Contact Us